The Diaconate is funded entirely by the donations of individuals at Redeemer. We are, therefore, accountable to the congregation to be wise stewards of the resources God has given us through his people. See below for more information on how you can contribute financially and how your donations are utilized:
Every year, the Diaconate receives their annual offering. The generous outpouring of Redeemer members and attenders enables the deacons and deaconesses to extend financial support to many within our congregation who are unable to pay for their basic living expenses. See testimonies of changed lives for examples of those who have been assisted by the Diaconate.
This year’s offering will take place on Sunday, November 20, 2016 at all services at all congregations. You may place your donation in the envelope provided for you in your bulletin on that Sunday or on the following Sunday. You may also make a gift online at redeemer.com/mercygift, or mail it directly to the office or go to ongoing monthly support section for more information on how to contribute financially to the Diaconate Mercy Fund.
We are reminded of the early church’s practice of diaconal service in Acts 4:32-35:
|All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions were his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.|
There are many ways you can give to the Redeemer Diaconate.
- Place your checks (with Diaconate written in the memo section) into the offering baskets on Sundays.
- Mail your checks (please don’t send cash) to Redeemer Offices, 1166 Avenue of the Americas, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10036. Make sure Diaconate is written in the memo section.
- Give online on at giving.redeemer.com.
- Text your gift.
- Donate appreciated securities — stock, mutual funds, bonds, ADRs (American Depository Receipts) and other property — and oftentimes receive a greater tax benefit than you would receive as compared to selling the appreciated securities and then donating the cash. Donations of appreciated securities are recorded as a charitable gift at the appreciated amount. Also, by donating appreciated securities, you can avoid recording a capital gain in the security (assuming the investment has appreciated and you have held the asset for more than one year). You should check with a tax professional before initiating any transfer of securities. If you would like to donate securities, you can initiate the transfer through your broker and request that the securities be transferred to the following:
- J.P. Morgan Clearing Corp.
- Account Name: Redeemer Presbyterian Church
- Account Number: 73301394
- DTC Number: 0352
- If you are considering a gift of a mutual fund, please let us know of the exact name of the mutual fund(s) you wish to transfer. We have made special arrangements to receive mutual funds through another broker and will provide instructions as to how to make this gift.
- If your bank has automated bill paying (as does JP Morgan or Chase), you can set up Redeemer Presbyterian Church to receive electronically generated checks, allowing you an easier way to be systematic in your giving.
- Remember, in order to receive the appropriate documentation you need for tax purposes, your name and address must be clearly identifiable on your check.
From January through December 2013, the Diaconate helped nearly 500 people and spent over $395,000 on their needs. Most received financial assistance because they were unable to meet their expenses due to difficult circumstances. Financial assistance was provided in the following areas: